Friday, January 21, 2011

Instructor Exchange

This past weekend we had the amazing ability to interact with two other Environmental Education programs in Washington. Graduate Students from Islandwood on Bainbridge Island and Students from Wilderness Awareness School outside of Seattle.

I was on the planning team (fitting) for the weekend, and so we spent a lot of time creating activities and programs for a group of people we had not even met yet. The idea for the weekend was to showcase our own graduate program as well as the place we live in. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to showcase the North Cascades even when the cloud ceiling is at 20 feet and it's pouring rain. However, I co-led a class on nature journaling and if you know anything about me, you know that i do not journal. I actually submit this blog to my professor for my journal requirements for school. I also led yoga in the morning, which is a fantastic way to wake up. Anyway, i'll stop rambling and get to the details.

it was an amazing experience. We had about 50 total people at the instructor exchange and it was a phenomenal experience. I wish I had more pictures, but I only have one of us singing a song about eating oreo cookies and us attempting to watch eagles while the Skagit was near flood stage. Both groups brought a refreshing viewpoint to environmental education and their own studies. The weekend gave us all a chance to learn from each other and to recharge ourselves as we head into the winter quarter. I took a lot of points away in how to improve my journal techniques, how to listen better, how to dance in the morning (even if i haven't had my tea/coffee) or how to love being outside. It was a great way to come back from break after being a month away and re-focusing on how to be outside.

I can't wait to get back to the learning center to go explore our trails, or take a canoe out and watch the color of Diablo Lake change from dark blue to the deep turquoise blue it is known for.


Singing about Oreo Cookies. Can life get any better?!

No comments:

Post a Comment