Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Objects of Thirst


About a month ago, i walked out to the truck and handed Frankie two Vitamin waters and had bought a third for myself. Then Frank posed the question/challenge.... We should stop buying beverages in plastic bottles and just use our nalgene's and just keep refilling them. I decided to take it one step further and attempt to only buy coffee if i had my travel mug on me.

I dont think we ever realize how much waste we generate when we buy disposable beverages. Before that one moment, i didn't even make the connection until i looked down and saw three empty plastic bottles. I can't say that since that time i've adhered strictly to our challenge, since i bought a cup of coffee yesterday sans travel mug... and i just realized the protein drink I just finished was in a plastic bottle. However, I have definitely made a concious effort, and notice that i am drinking a ton more water out of an old dirty nalgene then before.

I dare you to try to do the same... even if it's just for a day. At Starbucks, they'll give you a cup discount if you bring your own mug, so at least there's some economic incentive here, as small as it is.

Obviously there are a few items that do not apply to this event, and they are:


Kombucha - comes in a glass bottle
beer - in a glass bottle




and High-Life in a can

No comments:

Post a Comment