Friday, July 30, 2010

Bagging Parks

Today we watched the final episode (#6) in the Ken Burns Series - National Parks, America's Great Idea

If you haven't seen this episode, you need to. Anyway, the video touched on many themes from the 1950s through the present and it made me think of my own experiences with the National Parks. Supposedly i went to Yosemite when i was 5 and rode Sally the Burrow... I however, have absolutely no recollection of that... but i do remember my dad pulling over to the side of the road to empty out the sewage in the rv. Funny what is impressed upon youth.

My first National Park that I remember was Badlands. I was 25. My dad helped me move out west and the goal was after we visited Boone, Iowa, we would only travel on back roads, eat at local restaurants and diners, and stop at as many national parks/monuments as possible. My dad just received his Golden Eagle Pass which is a $10 lifetime pass for seniors. He wanted to stick it to the government and get his moneys worth. During the trip, my dad recorded the amount of money he saved with his pass so he could revel in the riches the IRS could no longer take from him. I honestly believe that trip brought me to where I am now. I also think the trip impacted my dad since he willingly did get out of the car to go explore with me Here are some pictures from that trip, and some other parks i've visited along the way. Enjoy.


Badlands

Mount Rushmore

Devils Tower


Yellowstone



Sawtooth National Forest

Craters of the Moon

Tetons

More Yellowstone


Kenai Fjords

Glacier

p.s heading to Utah on Sunday. An invite just went out for the following open listening session. I'm stoked:

10:00 am – 1:15 pm: Official Public Listening Session at the Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown – Join Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality Nancy Sutley, and Director of the Bureau of Land Management Bob Abbey, in a program designed to solicit your ideas about how to reconnect Americans to the outdoors and develop a 21st-century conservation agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment