Monday, November 1, 2010

busy bee

Well, not really. But, i'm in Bellingham the next two or three days "relaxing" and working on my work study project: Group Rentals.

We're working on our 2011 operational plan in order to increase our group rental profitability to help off-set more of the costs we are finding with both Mountain School and our underserved youth programming.

I do not have a marketing degree. Im pretty sure I didn't even take marketing when I got my business minor. I'm also pretty sure Political Science does not contribute one ounce of knowledge toward marketing. But what that has provided me with is a baseline for understanding how jacked our political system is now a days, when it comes to elections.

Speaking of elections, sometimes Im embarrassed to say I have a degree in political science, and yet do not vote. But, then I look at the current system and recognize the amount of money that is being thrown into these campaigns and the lies that are being said and how can I vote? I don't know what's true, and I'm disgusted that our country is still struggling in this economy, yet millions upon millions of dollars are being thrown at this election. Could you imagine for one instant what would happen if 20% of all money spent on current elections was diverted to our school system? Or diverted toward all of the public service programs that have had to be cut in the past two years? Or maybe instead of me spending 4 days on writing this proposal on funding, I could be looking at ways that money could be used to get children out into the woods and experience a new and fulfilling type of education.

But, that's not the case. So, instead I'll continue to be disenfranchised with our current political system and try to find businesses to come use our facilities at the institute to off-set the increased costs of programming for kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment