Monday, May 9, 2011

Adventure!!

I was itching to go exploring this weekend, so I chose to go to Vancouver Island and check it out. My plan seemed flawless. Get up early and drive to Tsawwassen where the ferries leave out of Vancouver and travel through the Gulf Islands and arrive to Vancouver Island an hour & a 1/2 later. So far, the adventure was going well. It was pouring rain on the coast, but the second I got on the ferry, the skies opened up and the sun filtered down. The rest of the day would be filled with sun with clouds floating by from time to time.

Once arriving at Swartz Bay, I immediately started pedaling and stopped 5 minutes later at a gigantic map. I had no clue where I was going. I stupidly assumed that there would be signs everywhere telling me how to get to Butchart Gardens or to Victoria... and well there was... if i wanted to bike on a 4 lane highway. Which I also found bizarre. I thought Vancouver Island was going to be filled with farms and gigantic tree's. Instead, it was a mixture between Bainbridge Island and Ottawa. Weird. Anyway, at the map, these really nice Canadians helped me out by finding their GPS at the bottom of a gigantic rubbermaid tub, and then plotted the coordinates to Butchart Gardens. They also suggested I take a more scenic ride and take my time getting to the Gardens. I agreed.


View Vancouver Island in a larger map

I set out from Swartz Bay and traveled on Lands End road, which skirted the coast, and then began my travels south on windy back roads. About 1.5 hours later, I found myself at Butchart Gardens. I also found myself pedaling on a bike where the seat post was about 1.5 inches too short. I didn't have an allen key with me, so i just sucked it up for the first part of the ride. After paying $30 i entered the gardens which were amazingly beautiful and well manicured. I was expecting them to be quite large due to the hefty entry price, but I was finished walking the grounds after a very slow 2 hour walk. And let me be perfectly clear. I took my sweet time. I even sat on benches. If you know me, you know I am not a bench person. I tried to drag my $30 out as long as possible.










Tulips for days
















i really got into using the macro function on my camera this time


















Fiddle heads!


















Sunken Gardens



















more tulips









After I could not take it any longer, I decided I would head south toward Victoria. I promptly found a gas station that let me borrow a #5 allen key, and i fixed my seat. (THANK YOU!!!) this made biking significantly easier and way more efficient. If I was smart, I would've asked for a map or directions as well. But instead, the adventure continued and i just biked in various directions with the overall goal of heading south. I found myself on side roads, main roads, bike paths, gravel paths and a hiking trail. It was definitely an adventure. I got to a point while i was on the hiking trail that this was completely ridiculous, so I just found the closest street, headed east toward the highway, and found a major road that took me straight to Victoria. I was really surprised with the amount of suburban sprawl that existed on the outskirts of the city. I also was expecting it to be a quiet little old english city on the islands coast. I mean, they serve high-tea! Instead, I felt like i was in a metropolitan area with some old buildings. So, i just bee-lined it to the visitors info desk, asked where i could catch a bus to get back to the ferry, bought a milk shake and walked my bike to the bus stop. I had no desire to experience the tourism delight of Victoria, and I am glad I left when I did. I made it back to the ferry dock just in time to make the 5pm ferry.

I think the ferry was by far the highlight of my journey. It was a pretty large size ferry, larger then any washington ferry I've been on. They have two upper decks that are dedicated solely to passengers, and they are very nicely done. I found myself sitting up on the 6th deck in the main passenger area that probably seats about 200 people, when they piped in the Canucks Hockey game on all tvs and speakers on the ship. Talk about a full canadian experience. Everyone whooped and hollered as the Canucks scored a goal and gasped as Nashville would score a goal. It was pretty amazing.






Gulf Islands!





















Another ferry passing by



















just another day on a ferry








I got back to Bellingham around 8pm. 13 hours after I left. I deem adventure day successful. Over 40 miles on my bike and some great flower and watching as well as great ferry time.

No comments:

Post a Comment