Wednesday, May 4, 2011

for the love of running

I have a few goals in mind for this summer, all which require me to be able to run and to run far. I live in a beautiful place where access to mountain tops or glacial valleys is only by paddle or 2 feet. So, training for my summer officially started yesterday. I worked with 4 other ladies up at the ELC to craft a training plan for the next 14 weeks that would ultimately allow us to run to the top of Cascade Pass




Then down to the Stehekin River valley where we will sleep for the night.


Then run out the following day on the PCT from High Bridge camp to Rainy Pass

It will be around 17 miles a day with some significant elevation gain and loss.

Which is why training started yesterday. Thankfully, it's really not that hard to get motivated to go "training" here when amazing trail running surrounds you at every instant. From my back door i can run 3.5 miles (RT) up to a waterfall, or 7 miles (RT) along cliffs overlooking Diablo to turn around at Ross Dam. If i drive for 5 minutes, I will end up at Colonial Campground where the running is endless.

I can run to the top of Thunder Knob


Or to the top of 4th of July Pass

Or to Easy Pass


Or the ultimate run to Park Creek Pass

The options are limitless with runs to Big Beaver, or up and over Whatcom Pass to highway 542 and on and on and on.

So, my 8 mile trail run through the woods up Thunder Creek yesterday was filled with excitement as I knew that every step I took would get me that much closer to amazing trips this summer.


*note - none of these photos are mine. so, thanks google!

No comments:

Post a Comment