Tuesday, November 22, 2011

HeliOOOOOOOOOOOtrope

I'm not much for traditions, but I felt like visiting Baker on Halloween weekend for the 2nd year in the row as not a bad tradition to upkeep.  I left Bellingham kind of late and got to the trailhead around 11:45ish.  Last year when Frankie & I made the hike, i remember it being kind of a slog, so I had it in my head it would be around a 2 hour walk to snowline and then an additional hour of skinning.  However, this year, there were a few changes: 1.) I was in way better shape 2.) I wore my running shoes for the approach instead of my shitty snowboard boots. 

I made it up to Snowline in under an hour and started seeing the terminus of glacier extending off of Baker.

At around 5500'ish feet i could put my skis on and start the trek upwards.  Thankfully, i was not alone up there, and there were quite a few skin tracks already set and I could choose any direction I wanted.  I chose up, and away from the masses and was definitely not disappointed.  Heliotrope is pretty mellow terrain, so I was pretty happy when I found one little steep section lasting for maybe 100'.    Clouds kept rolling in and out, so visibility was pretty crappy, but it was fun just hanging out on top, listening to music and just being alone in such an amazing place.  I took one lap and then was back at the car by 3pm.  Not a bad day at all!

 Snowline!

That way please!

Cloud layer looking toward Canada

Volcano!

Good day!

Thanks Heliotrope! I'll see you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment