Sunday, August 21, 2011

running saved my life

for those who have known me for 10 years, you would recognize that this is a true statement. For those that haven't... just imagine someone that would watch tv or read and not really venture outside often. When I started running, i was in a super shitty relationship and my only way to get out was to "go for a run." after a while of claiming running, i actually started running. First just a few miles, and then more and more and more. Running helped me get the confidence I needed to get out of said shitty relationship and move on with my life in a healthier fashion.

i began to run in a few different races around town including the catamount weekly 5k and whatever other random races VT had to offer. A few years down the road I found myself entering my first triathlon (I came in last) and then running my first marathon.

After moving out to Washington I found a new form of running, long distance trail running followed up by self-supported over-night trail excursions. Both types of adventures changed my life, and continue to have a powerful impact on me even now... nearly 8 years after my first legitimate running shoe purchase.

On Wednesday Tanya, Gretchen & I left the Cascade Pass and ran to Stehekin. 6 hours and 20+ miles later, we landed at the bus stop and were on our way to the campground and dinner. The next day we headed back to highway 20 via McCallister Pass where we passed through wildflowers and burns to finally find ourselves at the end of a 2 day journey. I remember walking out on highway 20 by myself, with no cars to be seen or heard. No one else was there, except me. I realized at that moment the impact that running has had on my life, and how it's time that it should take a much stronger focus. more adventures, more sweat, more exhaustion and more peacefulness will occur in the next days, weeks, months & years of my life solely due to the shoes I will have on my feet and the places I will go. Even 8 years later, running still has saved my life and continues to offer change and passion that we all so desperately need.



No comments:

Post a Comment