Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stehekin


So a week or two ago I went to Stehekin to shadow the interp rangers that work down at the Visitors Center there. Stehekin is a pretty awesome place for the following reasons:
1) they have a bakery
2) the shuttle bus stops at the bakery
3) you can only get there by foot, boat & sea plane
4) the full-time resident population is about 85
5) in the summer, the population is about 200 with park employees
6) it's on a lake

and the list goes on. I was really lucky to be able to hike in on a beautiful trail and then camp out on the front lawn of one of the park houses in a hammock. Also, cell phones don't work so people will go around and make plans during the day for an evening camp fire or get together to watch the stars and everyone is always invited. The community there is amazing and the people that make it up are unique and fantastic individuals. I really want to go back to Stehekin (and I will next week), but I hope next time I go and can stay for a while longer and explore more of its surroundings. I was there Tuesday evening through Thursday afternoon, when I departed on a 55 mile boat ride to the Town of Chelan carrying an apple pie. More on that in my next post. Enjoy the photos


Ranger Dork


Ranger Keith & I went canoeing one morning during "work"

Flowers!


View from my hammock


Trail hiking to Stehekin

No comments:

Post a Comment